Saturday 26 January 2019

Debs’ Random Ramblings: instalment 1

(I was going to title this post “Getting organised with Debs” but even I can spot the irony in that statement!) I am far too forgetful to be trusted with a regular challenge or inspiration station as my contribution to the blog so ... make yourself a cuppa as my random ramblings is what you can look forward to each month 🥴
I am a very slow scrapper ... at the ATDML retreats I’m still titivating over layout numero uno while ‘Janet’ is proudly adding her finishing touches to layout number four hundred and seventy two. Having said that, I don’t mind being slow as I really enjoy the process of creating pages but it’s not necessarily the creative process that slows me down. No, it’s the trying to find the right elements/papers/alphabets to pull together the layout I picture in my head. This is why I love the ATDML classes at the retreats, everything I need is put together in a bag and handed to me. Clue number one: THE BAG. Our dear friend Ann is really good at doing this, preparing for retreats and crops by popping co-ordinating papers/bits/alphas/etc into a bag ready to use. So, inspired by Ann I spent a day putting together kits of papers and ephemera to use at the retreat. 

I selected a handful of photos as my starting point then chucked in papers and ephemera that complimented the photo. I went with colours or patterns that co-ordinated with the photo rather than themes. {in the layout below I used scraps of paper and bits from the Echo park “I’d rather be crafting” range, amongst other odds and ends, to scrap a photo of my daughter Emily’s 12th Birthday lunch}. 

And taking the time to be prepared really paid off. I spent more  time enjoying the scrapping and less time looking for bits to use. I now do this not only for retreats and crops but to have kits to hand for whenever  I fancy scrapping. It is a great way to use up those left over elements from collections you can’t bring to throw away but have the potential to sit in your ‘scraps’ box for forever and a day. The bonus is if you’re scrapping more and using up what you’ve got ... you can restock your scrapbooking supplies from ATDML with loads more fabulousness for your page kits. I think that’s what some may call a ‘win win’ situation.
Happy preparedness people. MWAH.