Saturday 19 January 2019

Virtual Crop Weekend Challenge - Album Covers Edition 1

Hello and welcome to my new series of challenges and inspiration for 2019.

This year on the Saturday before each months Virtual Crop we will post a new edition of The Album challenge. This will involve an image used on an album (or occassionally a single) cover which is then used as inspiration for a layout. It could be that the layout uses the colour palette, design or subject matter of the album artwork as it's starting point.

I will add the album artwork and my layout to the Album Challenge Gallery on the ATDML # Create Facebook page, if you join in and create a layout for this challenge do go ahead and add yours to the album aswell.

So our first album artwork comes from The Beach Boys 29th studio album "That's Why God Made The Radio" released in 2012 as part of their 50th anniversary!


Now obviously album covers don't always include the elements we might want on a scrapbook page and although I loved the rows of scallops reminiscent of the sea there is of course no photo on this artwork so I made a sketch to plan out where I would put my elements.






I found the perfect paper in my stash from Bo Bunny's Lemonade Stand and set to work cutting up the scallops to make the waves. Then backed my scalloped sections onto cream cardstock.

I took inspiration from the yellow and black title and of course the "Beach" element then used smaller letter stickers to add a subtitle. Of course I couldn't resist adding a couple of extra bits so the word stickers on the bottom left of the photo were added. Finally I trimmed the layout by 1/4" top and sides and mounted it all on kraft (sadly I have realise that this is not that clear from my photo!)





So a fairly simple layout to start us off on our Album challenge, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.