Saturday 16 February 2019

Virtual Crop Weekend Challenge - Album Covers Edition 2

Hello and welcome back to the Album Covers Challenge. It was great to see several people joining in and posting their layouts based on The Beach Boys' That's Why God Made The Radio from our January challenge. (It's not too late to go back and have a go at that one!)

This month our album cover is No Doubt's "Tragic Kingdom" Album. It was their third studio album and was released in October 1995 - for me that meant it coincided with my first term in sixth form and I can remember "Don't Speak" one of the tracks on this album playing on our sixth form common room speakers quite a lot!



I am a fan of a big circle so I loved this album cover and, as before I found it helpful to make a sketch to plan my layout. In this instance I substituted a 4x6 photo in place of the foreground figure.


I sorted through and wanted to use some of the Paige Evans Whimsical collection but took nods from the blue and yellow in the album artwork. When it started to come together I had to flip my design so that the photo was on the right and the embellishment cluster on the left as the photo I wanted to use had Olivia looking towards the left and I usually prefer my subject to look towards the middle of the page rather than off to the side.






For the title I dug out some Thickers in a blocky font to match those on the album artwork and, although they didn't make it onto the sketch I noticed the flies on the edge of the circle on the album cover and added some clouds to echo their placement.

I hope this gives you a little inspiration before the Virtual Crop tomorrow. Don't forget to join us tomorrow morning at 10am for our first class. Over on the ATDML # Create Facebook Page we would love to see what you are scrapping and if you have a go at this challenge please do upload it to the Album Covers Challenge Gallery.