Tuesday 25 April 2017

Get your geek on!!!


I am surrounded by geeks, I've resigned myself to the fact that I will spend a good majority of my time submerged in some technology chat on the average day.

A few years ago my other half and my best friend jacked in their jobs to build a fashion app with another friend. Fast forward a few years, a lot of hard work and an appearance on Dragon's Den and here we find ourselves. 
The 'So Rad' papers from Simple stories are fantastic, funky and so versatile and ideal for me to scrap this story. They would also be great for that teen, or tween or toddler in some cases who can't seem to separate their phone from their hands.  


To start I used the Navy houndstooth/ code paper for the base to act as a circuit board and then cut strips of 1/4" green bazzil to create the circuits.  I then used a 1/2" punch to create the end points.


I wanted to create a section that looked like the screen of a iphone with apps on it, so  I cut out the 'there's an app for that' and computer elements from '3x4 journalling card elements' and then the 'please wait' and 'loading' from the 'please wait attitude loading card from the 4x6" journalling card elements.

I rounded the top and bottom corners of the word strips to give the phone shape.  I then arranged them onto green card and taped them down.  I trimmed around the green card to form the casing of the phone and then rounded the 4 corners again.  To finish this was then attached with a hinge to the page to allow a hidden journalling spot.



It's not just the phones that get all the attention with our friends,  Lanni is an avid collector of vintage video games - it's ever growing much to the dismay of his girlfriend Kayleigh.  I wanted to use the fab sticker stickers that appear in this range to create a throwback to the Pacman/Space Invader era to complement the photos I have of them.  Although not the best picture I love the look on both their faces - Lanni's determined and Kayleigh's bemused expressions kill me!!



I started using a sheet of black bazzil, and then cut some blue 1/4" frames.  I chopped these into pieces to create the pacman runs and attached them round the edges as frames.  I then mounted the photo to the left of the centre and cut the 'game on' element from the '3x4 journalling card elements' mounting this to the right of the photo. I then cut the controller sticker in 2 and adhered to the element.


I cut the road border sticker in 2 to create 2 borders and put above and below the photo and then added the space invaders stickers and 2 blue border strips


To finish I cut some white 1/2" circles to become the pacman trails and created a border with them and the 'awesome', 'rad', 'cool' and 'epic' stickers.  

This range is so adaptable - keep an eye out on the facebook page later this month where I'll be sharing another page made using more elements from this range.