Sunday 29 May 2016

Let's play 'tag' in May!


Hello again to those who are following this series of tag tutorials. For the May tag you will need the two May Children's Hour papers, a 4" x 8" tag, some white card, foam pads, co-ordinating ribbon, a piece of floral wire and a thin skewer or similar stick to wind the wire round.

As usual I started by looking at the papers and cutting out the images I wanted to use on the tag - it should be noted that I didn't end up using all the bits I'd cut out and did cut out more butterflies and the boy looking out of the window (with the window) later on! The pic of the woman with all the children is the larger version in the frame from the May Collective sheet.

Taking my inspiration from the boy looking out of the window I then cut out a white window frame, 11cm x 14cm with a 1.5cm thick frame...
I cut two strips 13cm x 2cm to make the window sill and trimmed them as shown in the photos below...



Now to start adding things to the tag. I cut out some of the pink paper (leaving the strip on because I knew the frame would cover it)...
I checked the frame would fit over the top...
I then added the brown spotted paper as though this was the house wall...
Then I added the frame (with inked edges now) using foam pads...
I then added another sill on top... more foam pads...

Next I started to stick the cut out people into my window...(notice the boy looking out of the window in the background!) Have a play around with the placement before you start gluing down!
Now to decorate outside the window. I added the groups of cut out flowers and the birds nest (and bird!)...
Then I added the quote at the bottom and I decided I needed to make my window look more frame-like so I added thin strips of card vertically and horizontally like bars on the window - it would have been easier to do this earlier!!...
Next I wanted to add the butterflies and make it look like they were flying - so I used a florist wire...
Wrapped round a skewer to give it a curl...

Then bent the end over to give more surface to glue the butterfly to...

I added my butterflies to the tag and added some ribbons...
And that was my tag finished.
June's tag is almost done and ready to go - so I'll be back soon!

Jane