Wednesday 18 April 2018

Feeling Fringey!

At the retreat I taught a class with the lovely Vicki Boutin "All The Good Things" papers, I had an plan for what I wanted to do for the first layout and then I planned to use strips of the paper in the second layout to create a stripey background.

When I came to assemble the second layout I just couldn't make it work how I wanted and I got a little frustrated - it just seemed really plain and uninspiring. I decided to get out my fringing scissors and have a play - the fringed edges added a lot more texture and created interest and suddenly my page came together quite quickly.


Usually at the retreat I spend most of the day time setting up classrooms, teaching, answering questions about shop items and liaising with the hotel staff about meals, refreshments etc... but in the evening I usually get chance to spend a little time playing with paper myself. To try and make the most of that time I made a few sketches, packed a few bags of product I wanted to use together on a project and matched it up with photos. This time I knew I wanted to make use of those fringing scissors to indulge myself in a little scraplift.

I love this layout by Paige Evans and wanted to make my own version. I precut the LOVE YOU out of a sheet of kraft cardstock using my Silhouette and decided I would use the Pink Paislee range Pick Me Up (designed by Paige Evans) for my version. On hers she cut the letters, added the fringed strips then adhered those to a background, I wanted an easier option so instead I used the negative from the cut words as a top layer on a sheet of white cardstock. This allowed me to add simple strips of fringed paper onto the white and then add the kraft so that the fringing showed through only in the cut areas.

To finish I outlined the letters, added the words Sweet and Heart either side of the photo and a few co-ordinating embellishments.


 Don't forget to share your latest creations with us over on the ATDML # Create Facebook page - we love to see what you have been making.