Monday, 9 September 2013

UKS End of Summer Blog Hop - Using Woodgrain Textured Cardstock


 
Welcome to the first stop on the UKScrappers End of Summer Blog Hop!
 
Here at ATDML we have recently taken delivery of some fantastic cardstock. A customer posted on UKScrappers asking if anyone could source some white wood grain textured cardstock she had once had in a Studio Calico Kit.
 
Ever keen to rise to a challenge we tracked it down to Germany and ordered it in. However it came in HUGE sheets 1 metre by 70cm so we then sent it to be professionally cut to 12x12.
 
 
I was intrigued by this cardstock and decided I ought to have a play so todays post is all about how I used this cardstock to make a card with lovely distress inked, textured hearts on it.
 
***************
 
1) First I punched out some hearts from the cardstock. You can just make out the wood grain texture in this photo.
 
 
2) I then experimented with different ways of applying distress ink to the hearts. In the photo below you can see the three colours of distress ink I used: Fired Brick, Tea Dye & Walnut Stain.
 
The heart on the left has a stronger pattern which was achieved by directly smooshing the ink pad across the cardstock.
 
The one in the middle has a more subtle effect created using the applicator and dabbing gently onto the cardstock.
 
The heart on the right was made by swirlying the applicator, starting off the cardstock on my craft mat and moving it in circular motions onto and over the cardstock.
 
 
3) I made myself several hearts in the larger size and also some smaller ones. Once they were done I inked the edges as well to add more definition.
 
4) Next it was time to make the card base. I used a brown mottled background from my scraps box (it was from the Glitz French kiss range) and cut it so it would be slightly smaller than my card blank.
 
5) I added two strips of co-ordinating washi tape and cut the ends to look like ribbon & applied these to the bottom edge of the card.
 
6) I inked the edge of the brown paper and added a faux stitching border to the paper (just because I like to add extra edging detail!)
 

7) To assemble the card I mounted a small heart inside each of the larger ones and arranged these along the washi tape strips.
 
8) I stamped the greeting in the top left hand corner with archival ink, however as the background was quite dark I wanted to give the greeting extra oomph so I added some clear embossing powder over the greeting and heat embossed it to make it raised and shiny.
 
9) Finally, to add a little extra interest and dimension I added a layer of glossy accents over the top of the small hearts.   


 
Of course you could use the same technique to make embellishments for your layouts, or journaling cards in any colour you like. I used the same technique to make a star and heart embellishment for a Project Life journal card:
 

Thanks for stopping by, your next stop in the blog hop is Fiona's (Angelfish on UKS) blog "Staring At The Sea" When you have visited all the blogs and left your comment don't forget to go back to UKScrappers and post on the blog hop thread there as this is what makes you eligible for the prizes!

Talking of prizes, before you go scroll down to the post before this - we are currently running a back to school giveaway which ends TONIGHT at 8pm so taking time to comment on that post will also give you another chance to win - and who doesn't like to win a crafty prize?!?!

67 comments:

  1. Lovely card and that wood grain card stock looks fab!
    Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely card to be given to that special someone in your life , ukscrapper name Lemonblossom

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely effect that cardstock has. I love the PL card with the star. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely effect that cardstock has. I love the PL card with the star. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the effect this CS has!!! Thanks for sharing - Hugs Butterbee (UKS Blog hop)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got some of this cardstock!! Thanks for the great ideas on how to use it....particularly like the journal card idea. Scaarymary555 on UKS

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fab effect, very nice. I love the card & the journalling card. Lindschick

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely card...great inspiration thanks for sharing with us. gjj274 on UKS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful card, want some of that cardstock now :) Gemmasteele on uks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the cards. TFS this project.

    Toni xx (misteejay on UKS)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A really nice effect without the added faffing about of stamping the woodgrain or using an embossing folder :)

    Fi - stop being greedy, you can only enter once :P lol

    Kitty Crafts UKS

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hadn't seen the wood grain cardstock before, very nice. It is very effective, I like the star on the journaling card very much.

    Amanda S

    ReplyDelete

  13. Thanks for the three effects .. they are quite different, aren't they? I don't make cards very often but I like that one, so just might be tempted!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the effect of the double hearts - one I hope to try

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks great, I will try this using my woodgrain embossing folder, although the already embossed cardstock is a great idea. uks simplyme

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the effect you got with the hearts card.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the effect of the woodgrain card stock

    Lyn M

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've got lots of white woodgrain c/s and never once thought to ink it!
    Thanks for the idea, looks great.

    scoobiesue - UKS

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my - I can see me ordering some of this - will you still have it for the retreat? Looks scrummy, would make fab mini-album covers!
    UKS Weaselwise

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great ideas here - love the idea of inking the woodgrain c/s - off to play later! thanks.
    PaulineD UKS

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lots of the girls at my crop have been using that and it looks great. I really love what you've done with it. UKS Wonky

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the woodgrain effect. Fab cards.
    UKS chrisrydal

    ReplyDelete
  23. Super cards and I'm loving the wood grain effect.

    UKs susibee

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous Mel, love all the inking xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love this! UKS mrst

    ReplyDelete
  26. love it, inks so well.
    UKS akilli_melek

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous cards, loving the woodgrain effect with the distress inks!

    UKS Violaceous

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have just received some of this delicious product - can't wait to have a play. Thanks so much for making the effort to stock such a lovely cardstock.

    UKS Alits

    ReplyDelete
  29. This reminds me that the same (or at least similar) effects should be possible using my embossing folders and ahem small collection of Distress Inks. Thanks for sharing!

    UKS Mole

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the colours in the card, simple but so effective, JoPink

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the woodgrain cardstock. Great cards

    UKS Aurora

    ReplyDelete
  32. ooh those woodgrain embellishments are gorgeous, must go look at the shop website

    ReplyDelete
  33. Mmm that looks interesting and a lovely effect. Thanks
    UKS lelly

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love those hearts and the cards are so pretty :)
    cheekymole

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lovely cards - what a versatile CS - oops, some has popped into my basket!
    Jemma (aka Jimjams)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love that woodgrain cardstock, so effective with the distress inks. Sharon1973

    ReplyDelete
  37. Some great ideas there, thank you
    Chris55

    ReplyDelete
  38. Gorgeous- might neeeed some :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  40. Loved the card you made with that gorgeous cardstock :-)

    Beanpie 11 over on uks

    ReplyDelete
  41. The wood grain card stock is lovely in white but even more stunning once colour has been added, ooh the possibilities!

    Jessbaby

    ReplyDelete
  42. Fabulous - I love the woodgrain hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a lovely project, we will have to try this as we have so many distress inks and never use them to their full potential. The woodgrain cardstock is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I think I may have to have some of that card....

    ReplyDelete
  45. Oh my - love love love that woodgrain
    Off to have a look
    Gorgeous projects
    Scrapdolly

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh wow! that is fab stuff!
    Sylphraven

    ReplyDelete
  47. Love this idea and that wood grain is fab
    UKS...sue1952

    ReplyDelete
  48. Love the wood grain cardstock, makes super embellies, that card is great!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Oooh fab card! Thank you for sharing.
    Sue x (MiniOwner)

    ReplyDelete
  50. Like the cardstock and what a lovely card!

    ReplyDelete
  51. ooo pretty. the effect is unusual

    uks darm

    ReplyDelete
  52. lovely! that's a very nice effect! happy hopping, jenx

    ReplyDelete
  53. Love the three hearts card. Great effect. Kjjc

    ReplyDelete
  54. Fab cards. Love that wood grain card (Jacqui200284 on uks) :)

    ReplyDelete
  55. Absolutely love that heart trio!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  56. What a lovely card with the three hearts. I was asked today to make an anniversary card so I think I may lift this one. Thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  57. Fab card, that wood grain card is lush and the glossy accents really work well... Must dig mine out!

    Wizbit (Liz)

    ReplyDelete
  58. Really like the heart embellishments. Thank you for this.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  59. Hi Mel , er I think I may just have been 'that' customer who asked if you could source the woodgrain paper !! I was so pleased that you could as it has to be my all time favourite cardstock and you were so quick on the case too ... 3 BIG cheers for ATDML for bringing such a lovely product to the UK ! Thanks a million.

    ReplyDelete