Tuesday 22 May 2012

Trends on Tuesday - Using the Negatives

Welcome to my next instalment of Trends on Tuesday, I thought I would have a go at something that has been building in popularity across the scrapping world....using up your negatives, all those off cuts from your die cuts or punches and making them a big part of your page.  Here are a few links to get your creative juices flowing from the October Afternoon blog (you have to scroll down to find the pages as there are a few pages in each post,  but I have put the page titles alongside the link to make them easier to find)

using negatives words (forever young)

Alongside using up the offcuts of punches and die cuts you can also hand cut too.  Here is a page I created where I pencilled outlined the words and then cut it with a craft knife, so there are loads of ways of creating this effect.


Onto the example that I have for you today;  my page uses some of Crate Papers Random and Farmhouse collections.  I love the denim which works well on a boy page.  For the stars I just ran my piece of yellow paper through my die cut machine several times, and I used the positive stars to make a little banner underneath the photo.  I started the page by scrapping gesso across the background and then layered up and stitched my papers.  I stuck the negative stars down using some silicone glue so that it raised the piece off the page a little which gives a nice shadow too.

I hope it inspires you to have a go at using up some of the pieces of paper that you might throw away normally and turn the negatives into positives on your page :)

Katherine